Question: pain in chest, feels like something is stuck

krlam1 - Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:10 pm

For three days I have had this irritating paing in my chest (like that feeling you get when you eat food too fast and it feels like it's slowly going down your throat). It occurs when I eat solid as well as injesting liquids. I feel like I have to burp all the time and when I do it feels better for a few seconds and then comes right back again. It also feels like I need to throw up. (the feeling that best discribes this is when you swallow pills without water and they don't go down right, and you can feel a slight burning sensation in your chest and throat).What do you think might be causing this? Do you think I should go see my doctor or will it pass?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:29 pm

I think you should bring this to the attention of a doctor, yes. There are any number of relatively simple things that could be causing this, but if it is left alone it could become more of a problem. Some of the possible causes of this sort of discomfort are: gastric esophageal reflux disease (GERD), Barrett's espophagus, Meckel's diverticulum (one or more little pouches in the wall of the esophagus), esophageal spasm or stricture, etc. Most of these are fairly easy to manage, but some of them can eventually cause more serious problems, and even if that doesn't happen, this can't be much fun. A good internist or, preferably, a gastroenterologist, can find out what's going on and how best to manage it so you don't have to put up with these symptoms or any future complications from whatever is causing them.

Best of luck to you. Stay in touch.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:13 am

User avatar I hope you are feeling better. Please keep us updated.

corriest123 - Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:18 pm

For about three years, I have been wheezing when I lay down. Usually not in the mornings, but n the afternoon/evening times, when I have been laying down I feel a heavy wheezing in my chest when I breathe. When I cough, I can feel phlegm plugging up my chest. Please enlighten me on what this could mean.

|