News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Very sharp pain on right side

steves - Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:48 pm

I"m a 56 year old male in decent shape, maybe 10 pounds overweight. I have had a very sharp pain on the right side of my chest that comes very quickly and leaves just as quickly. It's about four inches below my nipple, and seems to be very close to the surface. It's not below the ribs and seems to be between the ribs and the skin surface. I've had it come and go several times over the past couple of years, usually months in between episodes. Because it happens so seldom, I haven't been to my doctor. But when it does happen it's very severe and sharp. Had one today and it lasted for just a few seconds, but was very sharp, needle-like. I also notice that there might be a little tenderness to the touch after an episode. Any info or advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:36 am

User avatar Hello -

What you describe sounds very much like costochondritis (Tietz's syndrome), an inflammation of the cartilege between the ribs, where they connect to the sternum. This can be a chronic, recurrent problem or due to a strain or physical trauma, or even due to a passing viral infection. In your case it sounds like a chronic, possibly anatomical anomaly. In any case it usually will respond well to over-the-counter anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofin (Advil) or naprosyn (Aleve). It is mainly an annoyance, although sometimes it can hamper upper body motion or even breathing due to the pain.

The OTC meds suggested are useful when the problem becomes contant for periods of time. Otherwise it is probably best left alone.

I hope this is helpful. Please follow up with us as needed.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:13 am

User avatar I hope you are feeling better. Please keep us updated.

Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here