Question: chest pain and trouble breathing

janevanstrijp - Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:24 pm

hi
i have a very strong pain that is coming from my right shoulder and shotting threw my chest , everytime i breath i feel short of air and then pain shots down to my right rib and across my chest. i have noticed lately that my heart will start beating very fast when im am just sitting down and i fell short of air. that has been happening for a few months now. i woke up in thye middle of the nite last night with the pain it was so bad it made me vomit.
please help.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:46 pm

What you describe sounds very much like pleurisy or at least pleuritic-like pain. This can be due to something as simple as inflammation of the chest wall muscles or the pleura (the lining that separates the lungs from the chest wall). It can be excruciatingly painful and usually is aggravated by deep breathing, which leads to a sense of not being able to draw a full, satisfying breath. It can lead to anxiety and it also can, sometimes, be caused by the deep, sighing respirations of people who are already anxious.

Of course there could be some other, equally benign reason for the pain, but it would still be described as "pleuritic" because of the way it is related to breathing and the pain pathway sounds like that of pleurisy or muscle inflammation.

Often all that's needed is an over-the-counter anti-inflammatory pain medication like ibuprofin or naprosyn. You probably would do well to bring this to the attention of a doctor if it doesn't improve with self-treatment, but it is, in all likelihood, not serious.

Hopefully this is helpful to you. Please follow up with us as needed.
 mommy09 - Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:55 pm

Im 21 years old. Female. And starting yesterday i started off having trouble catching my breath so i took deep breaths and let out slowly and that seemed to help. Then an hour later my chest got more tighter and started to hurt when i took deep breaths, hurt to swallow food or drink, tried laying down that made my chest pain worse. At one time the pain shot to my left arm for a second then went away. When i went to bed that night i had to lay and stay laying on my stomach to even be able to lay down. This morning woke up pain was gone. When i picked up my 5 month old baby the pain arose again starting off short breath and ended up being like it was before and now pain is in my throat chest is tight and between breast it is sore to touch. I do at times have panic attacks, but now like this i don't know if it could be to stress, which i havent felt or if it is serious enough i should physical go see a doctor. Your insight would be very helpful thank you.

|