News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: cough for 7+ weeks

mblack - Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:23 am

I have been sick for 7 weeks now...coughing, sinus infection-like symptoms, etc. The cough is terrible. I was first given a chest xray and it came back clear. I have been put on antibiotics, prednisone,inhalers and nothing works. Yesterday at work,I was washing out the nalgene I drink out of everyday and realized that a slimy-like mold was growing from the side. Could this be what has been making me sick??
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:16 am

User avatar Hello -

It's entirely possible the mold could be causing your symptoms, as mold from other sources (household, structural) often causes very similar complaints. If you can get your doctor to agree to order a pathology test of a mold sample you may just have your answer. At the very least try using something else to drink from. Nalgene has, in the past year or so, been taken off shelves and out of production because of other health issues related to the type of plastic used in their construction, and since their earliest products included petri dishes and other lab equipment it even makes more sense not only that the mold might form, but that this may be yet another problem associated with the brand. I'd stop using the current one and find another brand or type of water bottle.

Given the persistent and recurrent nature of your symptoms despite all the logical medical therapies, your mold problem is a likely cause. Given the already known health problems associated with Nalgene I'd be willing to bet this is the source of your problems. Please let your doctor know about this, as the treatment may change given the likely source of the problem.

I hope this is helpful to you. Please stay in touch and keep us updated.
 tobz - Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:03 am

My daughter went and had a chest exray today, its says there is a presence of inflammatory changes demonstrated at the apical- posterior segment of the upper right lobe with subsegmental collapse at the medial aspect. Ther is also presence of some inflammatory changes in the region of the medial basal segment of the left lower lobe. No pleural effusion..
What does this mean?

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here