News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: chest pains on right side

kelly56 - Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:02 pm

my chest has been hurting a lot lately and i am not sure why. I do not smoke or drink and i am very active. However, right above my left side of my right breast, it really hurts. Its a sharp pain that is not always there but seems to be getting worse. I don't know why i am having these chest pains and i cant find something to explain them. Do you have any ideas? Thanks
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:34 pm

User avatar Hi there -

What you describe sounds very much like costochondritis or Tietz' syndrome, which is an inflammation of the cartilage between the ribs and which connect them to the sternum (breastbone). A good way to tell if this is what's going on is to try twisting and bending your upper body or reaching up with your right arm. If this aggravates the pain, or if you can elicit pain or tenderness by pressing on the spot then it is almost certainly Tietz', which is best treated witn non-steroidal analgesics like Advil (ibuprofin) or Aleve (naproxyn).

Sharp and highly localized pain, just FYI, is almost never heart-related. If you can reproduce it by movement or pressure as described above, it is never heart-related.

It's still pain, though, so try the diagnostic method I suggested above, and if that confirms Tietz' syndrome then try one of the over-the-counter meds mentioned above, as directed on the label. If that doesn't help then you'll need to see a doctor, who can prescribe something more effective.

I hope this is helpful. Please follow up with us here as needed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here