News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: chest/back pain with headache

xija89 - Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:18 pm

I am an 18 y/o female w/ no smoking/alcohol history. I have Asthma and PCOS and I am borderline diabetic.

Last night I had chest pain (it feels as though someone is pushing on my chest). It is tender to the touch as well. About 1300 today, backpain and a migraine joined the chest pain. Chest/back pain is mostly only on inhalation. The pain is mostly medial on the back and chest.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:02 pm

User avatar Hello -

Based on your description of your pain and the fact that it is tender to the touch makes this seem most likely an inflammatory problem involving the connective tissue between your ribs. While unusual to occur fore and aft simultaneously, you do also have asthma, and so may have overused your accessory muscles (which are also located between your ribs as well as at the bast of your neck on either side) and this can, at times, cause a sense of pressure or tightness as well as the sort of pain and discomfort you describe. Were it not for the tenderness to touch I'd be concerned that it might be instead an inflammation of the pericardial sac in which the heart resides, or possibly pleurisy (and inflammation of the lining surrounding the lungs). While these are not usually very serious, they can also cause these sorts of symptoms, but not tenderness to touch from the outside.

All three are treated the same way, as a rule, which is with non-steroidal anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofin or naproxyn (Advil or Aleve).

The migraine would seem to be unrelated and an unfortunate coincidence just adding to your current discomfort.

If the chest pain and tenderness doesn't respond to simple medication, you should then make an appointment with your doctor to see if something stronger is required.

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here