Question: stiff back and chest every waking up morning

medium - Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:15 am

hi, im 30 y.o. male.

every morning i wake up, i experienced stiff back pain (muscle spasm) and stiff left pain on my chest. iv no problem in breathing. I f i twist my body to the lest, i could feel my chest on the left stiffness and pain.

It will subside after i take a shower.

when i wake up afternoon nap, there's no stiffness on my back and chest, only every morning i wake up.

whats this symptoms pls?? lung related problem?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:37 pm

"Morning stiffness" is usually a descriptor for one of the symptoms of arthritis. However, your pain sounds more like the result of simply sleeping in an awkward position. While there is little that can be done to prevent this, since we all move around a good deal while asleep, it could be something as simple as a too-pliant mattress. If your mattress is of good quality then you're probably sleeping in an odd position during the night and wake up with strains to your back muscles and the cartiiage between your left front ribs, which would suggest a twisting at the waist during the night. Sometimes this "feels right" to your body so it doesn't cause you to wake, but in the morning, after a period in the odd position, everything is stretched and stiffened.

So long as the problem resolves early in the day, there's really not much that needs to be done. If it persists long enough to cause problems, you could try taking a couple ibuprofin either at bedtime or, probably better, first thing in the morning (after eating). It would work to take it at night (probably preventing the morning stiffness), but there is a potential for it to cause esophageal reflux or at least stomach upset when taken just before sleeping, so the next best time would be first thing after eating in the morning.

I hope this is helpful to you. I imagine eventually this nocturnal twisting will stop, but for the time being taking something to eliminate the stiffness and soreness is probably the simplest solution.

Best of luck to you. Please follow up here as needed.

|