News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: stiff back and chest every waking up morning

medium - Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:15 am

hi, im 30 y.o. male.

every morning i wake up, i experienced stiff back pain (muscle spasm) and stiff left pain on my chest. iv no problem in breathing. I f i twist my body to the lest, i could feel my chest on the left stiffness and pain.

It will subside after i take a shower.

when i wake up afternoon nap, there's no stiffness on my back and chest, only every morning i wake up.

whats this symptoms pls?? lung related problem?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:37 pm

User avatar Hello -

"Morning stiffness" is usually a descriptor for one of the symptoms of arthritis. However, your pain sounds more like the result of simply sleeping in an awkward position. While there is little that can be done to prevent this, since we all move around a good deal while asleep, it could be something as simple as a too-pliant mattress. If your mattress is of good quality then you're probably sleeping in an odd position during the night and wake up with strains to your back muscles and the cartiiage between your left front ribs, which would suggest a twisting at the waist during the night. Sometimes this "feels right" to your body so it doesn't cause you to wake, but in the morning, after a period in the odd position, everything is stretched and stiffened.

So long as the problem resolves early in the day, there's really not much that needs to be done. If it persists long enough to cause problems, you could try taking a couple ibuprofin either at bedtime or, probably better, first thing in the morning (after eating). It would work to take it at night (probably preventing the morning stiffness), but there is a potential for it to cause esophageal reflux or at least stomach upset when taken just before sleeping, so the next best time would be first thing after eating in the morning.

I hope this is helpful to you. I imagine eventually this nocturnal twisting will stop, but for the time being taking something to eliminate the stiffness and soreness is probably the simplest solution.

Best of luck to you. Please follow up here as needed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here