Question: calcified granuloma

in2you - Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:32 am

I;m about to retire from the military and I had a chest xray done. I was told that I have to have another done at another hospital. I want to know should I be worried. Below is exactly what was on my first examination report.

FINDINGS: PA AND lateral views of the chest demonstrate adequate inspiratory volumes bilaterally. There is a 4.5mm oval density of the right lung base seen on the frontal view. There is a similar oval density seen overlying the cardiac apex on the lateral view. This likely represents a corresponding finding. The finding is more dense than that of the adjacent ribs abd likely represents calcified granuloma. Other etioloies are not completely excluded and there are no prior studies for comparison. No other potential areas of focal infiltrate, consolodation, or masses are appreciated. There are no pleural effusions or pneumonthoraces. The cardiac silhouette is of normal size, shape, and position. The bony thorax demonstrates no significant abnormalities.

IMPRESSION: There is a 4.5mm facal density of the anterior aspect of the right lung base which likely represents a calcified granuloma, however, there are no prior studies for comparison
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:04 pm

Calcified granulomas are rarely a problem. They are almost always benign, since malignant lesions grow and don't have time to become calcified. Rather, these granulomas are scars that have healed or gone dormant for so long that calcium deposits have formed on them. They are rarely removed or treated at all. Some of the more common causes are tuberculosis, coccidiomycosis (common to parts of California) and fungal infections such as histoplasmosis (most common in the Ohio Valley in the U.S.).

It's always a good idea to follow up with your doctor when a finding like this turns up, but it's almost always a benign finding, so no huge cause for concern.

I hope this is helpful. Please follow up here as needed.
 euann16 - Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:27 am

good day!

Doc, my 26 yr old husband recently had a medical exam for applying in dubai, he got his chest x-ray result and found out that he has a calcified granuloma on his chest, may i ask what is the meaning of that and is there any medicine that he can take to remove this calcified granuloma or to cover up this kind of spot in order for him to be cleared in his chest x-ray

|