Question: chest and jaw discomfort/hard to breath

goodtimes0216 - Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:29 pm

I'm 33 old female. History includes removal of ovary(twisted from a cyst 3/06) a complete hysterectomy including remaining ovary (10/06), MVP, dilated IVC, and Tempoal lobe epilepsy(petite mal and sometimes grand mal) I smoke a pack a day, drink atleast a pot of coffee a day. Recovering alcoholic and drug addict for 8 years now.

I have been having chest discomfort sinse the begining of August , a cough and shortness of breath. I went to urgent care and was put on z-pac. after two and a half weeks past I went back because I felt like I was getting worse. They took an x-ray and said viral infections can last a long time and that I have a respitory infection. I feel even worse then I did the second time I went back. When I cough I have a little bit of mucus. It's like small chunks"of jelly" started out white to now a green color, whereas I didnt before. I get so short of breath. I feel like I ran a mile and cant catch my breath. I get out of breath just from talking. My chest will feel really tight, I get light headed and my left arm will feel sore then my hand tingles and I feel so tired. I cant get my cough out completely because I cant take a deep breath. It's hard to explain the cough. My collar bone area starts to hurt and my jaw line and neck.

I feel silly going back to urgent care for this because I have already been there twice. Do you know what this might be or why it wont go away and keeps getting worse. I havent been drinking as much coffee, I cut my smoking down to less then a half pack(i should quit completely).
Thank you in advance for your time and feedback
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:57 pm

First, keep up the good work with the reduction of smoking, as this will play a huge role in every aspect of your health. You know that, so enough said, no sermons are forthcoming.

Second, please don't feel silly going back to the urent care facility, since you're sick! In fact, what I strongly suspect has happened, based on your very thorough description and history, is that while you started out with a viral infection, you now have developed a bacterial superinfection. (This doesn't mean some super bug has taken hold, but merely that a bacterial infection has superimposed itself on the weakend and irritated respiratory tract, while the virus has probably played itself out). This happens quite often, and while no antibiotic will kill off a viral infection, antibiotics are absolutely indicated for a bacterial infection. The change in color of your sputum makes it likely you now have a bacterial infection (that "superinfection" thing). I would go back to the urgent care clinic at once and have them do a sputum culture to see if you now need antibiotics. Nothing silly about that.

Best of luck to you. Please follow up with us and let us know how things turn out.
 floridagirrl82 - Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:56 pm

Hi Goodtimes,

Did you find the answer to these symptoms?? My mom has been suffering from the exact same things for a while now and they admitted her to the hospital several times thinking it was heart related and concluded that it was not. Now they are trying to tell her it is just anxiety! If you could somehow get back to me and give me any further answers you have gotten it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much.

|