News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Upper abdomincal pains centered below my rib cage.

Bramptongirl - Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:47 am

Hi, i've been having incredibly bad pains below my chest for the past week now. Throughout the night it gets really bad, and throughout the day as well.. but not as bad at night. The other morning i had to pull over my vehicle, i couldnt even drive because of the pain. I threw up what looked like yellow goop.. maybe stomach acid? The exact same stuff i threw up when i had Samonella Poisoning a year a go. The pains are bad with any food i eat, and nothing seems to help, not even drinking water. Sometimes when i eat the pain will go away temporarily.. but doesnt work for long. Do you have any idea of what that might be? Thanks!
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:26 pm

User avatar Hello -

That bout of salmonella is paying off now, because it caused you to describe stomach acid very well. That, combined with severe epigastric pain (the area just below your chest), and a few other things you mentioned, strongly suggests either gastritis or an actual gastric ulcer. This can be caused by simple overproduction of stomach acid or it can be secondary to a bacterial infection. Being tested for h. pylori bacteria can help guide the treatment of the problem, since if the bacteria is present an antibiotic is needed as well as something to help inhibit the production of stomach acid. Meanwhile, avoid foods that obviously aggravate the problem, especially whole milk. While this latter may seem counterintuitive, whole milk stimulates production of stomach acid, so often makes the problem worse. Skim milk is fine, and may actually be helpful. At any rate, you've gotten to the point where the symptoms are pretty well intolerable, so please see your doctor as soon as possible and maybe even get a referral to a gastroenterologist.

I hope this is helpful to you. Best of luck, and please follow up with us here.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here