Question: I AM SO CONFUSED.... I HAVE EXTREMELY BAD COUGH

BooneDog88 - Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:40 pm

I am a 16 year old male and have an extremely bad cough. I have had this cough for almost two months now!!!!! I have been to the doctors twice, and I think they are just guessing on what it is. First they said it was a sinus infection, so they gave me amoxocillan (not spelled right probably) and it didn't help at all. I went back and they did another blood test and chest x-ray. They didn't see anything in my chest. They then said I had something like microplasma, or something like that. I started taking a z-pack for that and I got a strong cough medicine with codine, or something like that, in it. The doctor said that it would be cleared up by now. Its not, and I think its getting a worse a little bit. I don't think it is allergies because Im not coughing up a bunch of mucous when I cough. I have piercing headaches sometimes. I am going crazy with this cough!! My cough isn't just a regular smooth cough either, its a rough, body jerking, cough. When my friends at school heard me coughing, they said it sounded like I was going to die. I just want to know what it is so I can get rid of it. PLEASE HELP ME!!!! I am out of school now because of my cough and I don't like missing school. Please help me find out what this is!
I will be happy with any information that anyone could give me!!!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:30 am

User avatar Hi BooneDog88,
I have a couple of questions. Have you had a fever? Is the mucous that you are coughing up, clear, or with color, for example, yellow, green or blood tinged? Have you ever been diagnosed with asthma? I would suggest that if you have had a persistent cough for two months which has not been cleared with antibiotics, further investigations need done,such as a CT Scan which may identify problems not evident on chest xray and a pumonary function study at the very least. I hope this helps.
 drnimishasood - Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:59 am

in addition to the above please also let me know if you smoke , if yes then the frequency .secondly any other medication you r on .
 valleygirl73 - Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:00 pm

Hi there,
Sounds like whooping cough to me! Had it a few years back and I was soooo misdiagnosed it was retarded. The codeine medication is the best, as it numbs that tickly feeling. It usually last 3 months or 100 days. Keep in touch. valleygirl_73@hotmail.com
 BooneDog88 - Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:31 pm

Im sorry I havent replied to your questions, I have been really busy and sick. I had a fever only one time that I know of. I am constantly sweaty and have never smoked anything in my whole life. I don't really cough up mucuous, my lungs and throat seem pretty dry and I don't think I have coughed up mucuous before. I havent ever been diagnosed with asthma, but I am on an inhaler now, I think its called "Advair" or something like that. I am on regular medication for my Tourettes and OCD, those medicines are Prozac and Risperadol. I have been on those medicines for years now and it hasnt ever caused a problem before.

Thanks,
BooneDog88
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:31 am

User avatar Hi BooneDog88,
I still would really suggest that you discuss with your doctor about having a pulmonary function study as well as a CT Scan to rule out any abnormalities. A persistent cough especially since you don't smoke and taking into consideration that you have not been exposed to any communicable diseases (for example tuberculosis) is certainly abnormal. It also seems that your current inhaler regimen is not providing relief and if it is asthma there are other treatment options. I hope your better soon.
 BooneDog88 - Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:25 pm

Thank you so much for all of your advice. I don't really know how but I think I am starting to get better. Thank you all for the advice.

BooneDog88

|