News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Chest tightness that won't go away :(

charlene_m - Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:46 pm

This past few months i have been experiencing an awful tightness on my chest, in order to try an figure this out i went to see the out of hours dr who just listened to my chest and ruled out a chest infection and i was sent away with nothing.

Another few months i decided to go back to my own gp as there was no change, prior to this i had tried to take indigestion tablets, things for excess acid and trapped wind to try and rule it out myself.

My dr took routine bloods which turned out all to be fine and i wasa told to come back, the second time i went back i felt no better an a ecg was done at the practice which was clear. Now i am awaiting a chest xray which I havent got an appointment yet.

Recently I have been getting the odd bad headache and the occasional nosebleed (which is very short) but just seems to come on for no reason.

Today I've took a reali sore left arm, the best way to describe it is like a dead arm. I just want a bit of insight into what could be going on as I'm completely lost.

Charlene
 wasley81 - Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:17 am

hi there, i have been getting chest pains for nearly 7 years now.

I've never been able to find out what is causing it.

Do you get cramps in your left side of your chest
?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:59 pm

User avatar Hi charlene -

Your symptoms could be caused by a lot of different things, and some of them are pretty benign, while others could be more serious. What you really need right now is a good, comprehensive physical and to rule out a return of asthma (I see you note you had asthma 10 years ago), GERD (I also note you take medication for this) and especially heart problems. While you did have an EKG and it was apparently normal, a resting EKG isn't always sufficient to disclose heart disease, and women tend to present with more atypical symptoms are are sometimes more difficult to diagnose, especially younger women (I don't know your age, but women of any age can have heart problems just as surely as men can, although they usually develop it after menopause, not always). The fact that you describe chest "pressure" instead of pain, the headaches, the nosebleed and the "dead" arm all argue for a more complete cardiological workup, even though there are plenty of other potential causes for all of this. We're best off ruling out the most serious things first, then working down toward the very innocent, annoying stuff.

Again, you could be experiencing chest pressure or tightness due to asthma, the nosebleed and headaches could be related to each other but not the chest discomfort, and the arm sensation could be some third, unrelated issue. The only what to be certain is to see a thorough internist and have all this sorted out. I think it's definitely worth the trouble.

I hope this is helpful to you. Please follow up with us here as needed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here