Question: Lung in throat during operation...Just a strange occurance o

Frank00 - Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:47 pm

I had cervical neck fusion of my c6-7 on Monday Sept. 15th. During this operation my doctor noticed my lung was in my throat. He called in a general surgeon who wasn't sure why this had happened. He did ask if I had emphysema and I do not, at least not that I know of. He pushed the lung back down so they could continue with the procedure. The next day my doctor did x-rays of my lungs and everything looked fine. My breathing is good. He did suggest however that I get this looked at as soon as I can. He told me to tell my doctor (primary) that my liver enzymes were a bit high also. I want to know if you have ever heard of this before and if I should be worried. I do have sleep apnea and am wondering if this might be the problem. Thanks for helping!
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:57 pm

While I've never heard of this before and it's even hard to visualize in my mind, it's obviously possible, and probably has something to do with unequal pressures in the pleura. I would think it probably happened during the procedure, perhaps because of it, but I'd definitely have it looked into anyway. It seems everything is back where it ought to be, so that's good news.

Sleep apnea may well be at the bottom of this, since it can cause unequal pressures, unnatural pulling, etc., and that theory makes the most sense, given I have, again, never heard of this happening, at least without physical trauma as the cause.

Please stay in touch and update us if you learn anything new. Best of luck to you.

|