News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: irritating itching sensation top left chest lung

kimberlypaul - Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:43 pm

I have this rather unfamliar sensation is in one specific area of what feels like my lung. my rib is slightly tender to the touch. I have noticed it for couple months..likened it to a lung infection however has not moved or gone away.
When I take a deep breath is tickles and in a recline position i tend to cough.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:44 pm

User avatar Hello -

The tenderness makes this sound like you may have an inflammation of the connective tissue between your ribs in the affected area. The "itching" sensation and the cough are more difficult to pin down, and if they are actually related to the sore spot, it's difficult to guess, at a distance, why that may be. The most likely thing seems to be inflamed cartilage between the ribs (a very common problem), although this rarely causes coughing, but that part may be sheer coincidence.

Best bet, if this causes you significant discomfort, is to make an appointment with your doctor, but I have a strong suspicion this is something that will resolve on its own, perhaps with the help of an over-the-counter anti-inflammatory pain medication like ibuprofin.

I hope this is helpful. Please follow up with us as needed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here