Question: irritating itching sensation top left chest lung

kimberlypaul - Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:43 pm

I have this rather unfamliar sensation is in one specific area of what feels like my lung. my rib is slightly tender to the touch. I have noticed it for couple months..likened it to a lung infection however has not moved or gone away.
When I take a deep breath is tickles and in a recline position i tend to cough.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:44 pm

The tenderness makes this sound like you may have an inflammation of the connective tissue between your ribs in the affected area. The "itching" sensation and the cough are more difficult to pin down, and if they are actually related to the sore spot, it's difficult to guess, at a distance, why that may be. The most likely thing seems to be inflamed cartilage between the ribs (a very common problem), although this rarely causes coughing, but that part may be sheer coincidence.

Best bet, if this causes you significant discomfort, is to make an appointment with your doctor, but I have a strong suspicion this is something that will resolve on its own, perhaps with the help of an over-the-counter anti-inflammatory pain medication like ibuprofin.

I hope this is helpful. Please follow up with us as needed.

|