News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Chest pain, left side.

Allie - Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:14 pm

I have been having really bad chest pains on the left side. I have been trying to read but on what it could be and I find that most people say that when they have pain they feel it below the left breast, but I feel it on or above. im 18 I ride horses and I dance, the past few weeks I havent been able to work as hard as I normaly do because the pains get so bad. I tryed to run with my dog yesterday and I only got a few feet. any ideas?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:44 pm

User avatar Hi Allie -

While left-sided chest pain isn't usually cardiac-related, yours seems to be aggravated by exertion, so we need to look further than usual. First, a good way to try and eliminate heart problems from the picture would be to ask if any movements of your upper body (while standing still) cause this pain to happen or to worsen (such as twisiting, reaching, raising your arms, etc.) and if there is a distinct focus to the pain, a place you can point to or cover with one hand. If so, does manual pressure on the area elicit any tenderness or soreness? Finally, does taking a deep breath aggravate this pain? These things would almost definitely eliminate cardiac causes.

If the above questions don''t eliminate heart involvement, while it's still unlikely given your age, gender, etc., it still would need to be ruled out, probably via an EKG and maybe an echocardiogram. While you are awfully young to have any significant coronary artery disease, some young adults can have other, structural problems,some of them quite benign and others that require medical management.

Please let me know how you would answer the questions above, about being able to provoke the pain by movement, breathing,etc. We can then go forward from there.

I look forward to hearing from you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here