News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: 16 year old with chest pains

xprodigy92 - Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:39 pm

Okay so here's a little about me.

I'm an athlete, a wrestler working a 5x5 weight lifting program. (5 sets, 5 reps) Don't let that heavy weight lifting confuse you, I also do cardio for 5 time a week minimum. I'm 5 ft 10, 200 lbs.

I have a blood pressure of 110 over 50, resting pulse of about 56. So I'm in decent shape I'd think.

I've been feeling pain in my chest, over my left pectoral but inside, not muscular. When I breathe in, and now when I bend over or lift heavy objects in general. Also I feel a pain in my back on the left side, but that can be from dead lifting or the bent over rows, I'm not sure if that's related.(upper back)

I saw a cardiologist in august, normal ekg, echo, and stress test.

Thanks in advance.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:53 pm

User avatar Hello -

The fact that your chest pain can be reproduced by breathing and by lifting heavy objects, it is almost certainly musculoskeletal in origin. There are both muscles and membraneous lining inside the chest wall, and these can be irritated and/or strained by heavy lifting. There is also the possibility of inflamed cartilage between ribs causing this, but because it seems more visceral (as you said, "inside") it is probably pleuritic or chest wall pain. Have you tried anything such as ibuprofin to relieve this? If not, give that a try, as directed, for a few days, as this can sometimes resolve the inflammation. While it is almost certainly nothing serious, it is obviously bothersome, so if it continues beyond a few days on ibuprofin (Advil) or naproxyn (Aleve), arrange to see your doctor, as it may require something stronger to resolve the inflammation.

I hope this is helpful to you. Best of luck.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here