Question: lung congestion and breathing difficulty

lyndee - Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:35 pm

I spent all day cleaning up at the back of a house where there was extensive black mold that smelled real bad. I quickly began having breathing difficulty and a slight choking feeling and the urge to cough because my lungs suddenly felt congested. I have left the job site but the symptoms are ongoing...now for about 5 hours. Is there anything I can take or something I can do to alleviate the effect of exposure to black mold spores?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:07 pm

User avatar Hi there -

You very likely are experiencing a reaction to the mold, and may wind up developing an infection, although as often this will resolve on its own within 48 hours of exposure, if you are able to avoid the contaminated area. If it doesn't improve in a day or two, or if it gets worse before then, by all means see a doctor urgently, explain what happened, and you'll probably be given medication to clear this up. Mold can often cause these sorts of problems. There's a high probability it was the cause of your distress.

Best of luck to you. Please follow up with us as needed.

|