Question: Inhaled Dirt and Dust

Coughing - Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:40 am

I am 69 years old and volunteered at a church carnival last night. My job was to supervise children digging for prizes in hay for two hours. During this time, the children were throwing around hay and I inhailed a lot of dirt and dust. I am coughing, my throat is scratchy, and I have slight pain in my chest (probably from caughing). It is 5:30 a.m. and I have been coughing for over 8 hours now and would like some relief. Is there anything I can or should do?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:29 pm

There are a lot of tiny particulates in hay, so the cough is not a surprise. Suppressing it is the trick now, since it is probably not a productive one (if it were, guaifenisen -- Mucinex -- might help). There are a few over-the-counter cough remedies which contain a mild suppressant ( Dextromethorphan -- look for the "DM" suffix). Try one of these. It should resolve on its own or with this, and if it does, that's great. Also, take perhaps a couple Advil for the soreness from all the coughing. If the cough doesn't ease up and resolve in a day or two, see a physician, as it is possible to pick up fungal infections from hay, and this would require prescription drugs to suppress the cough and to kill the infection as well. Hopefully the irritants will be moved out on their own in a day or two.

Please follow up with us as needed.)

|