News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Asthma

Question: I have severe cat allegies and have questions about them

jnthn949 - Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:28 pm

Hello. I recently found out about my cat allergies. I bought kittens and brought them home, and four days later ended up having to have an epinephrine shot and having to get rid of my cats. I want to know if it is okay for me to be around my nephew that has cats. I am going to be taking care of him while his mother is at work. I have clothes and blankets for him at my home and they are going to remain here. I take claritin daily to control all of my allergies, and I vacum daily as well. I want to know if it is okay to have him here for eight hours a day? thank you
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:18 am

User avatar Hello,
People like you who are very sensitive to cats will react to the clothing worn by cat owners in their homes and carried into yours. It may be necessary for you to change his clothing and bag everything once he is at your home. Laundering the items will probably take care of it for you. This can be very inconvenient but worth it. Perhaps he could wear his pajamas to your home and change into clothes there - you bag the P.J.'s and after a few days wash several of them together carefully with as little exposure as possible (Pour out of the plastic bag into the washer - try not to handle them and wash your hands well once you start the washer). Maybe his mother could actually dress him at your house in the clothing you have kept away from any contact with their house and this would just be part of his "normal" routine. You don't want him to feel badly about the situation so if you can be matter-of-fact about the way you do things, it will help. Of course you will need to wash and replace the clothing periodically.

It's a lot of work but I have seen some strong reactions to just clothing items that have been in a home with cats - even a very clean and tidy home. This should not prevent you from being able to enjoy your nephew and care for him.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here