News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Pneumonia

Question: Required room temperature for those with pneumonia

virtualhost - Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:06 pm

I was just diagnosed with pneumonia and I've been having chest pains. For 3 weeks now, it seems that there's a mass or something heavy in my upper chest, giving me a hard time to breath. I cough most of the time and breath as if I have asthma (i never had asthma before). Im taking medicines, tho.

Im a technical support for a data center and just last week, 5 people including myself was assigned to work at the server room where I am exposed to a lot of servers and routers with a 17 degree room temperature, quite cold.

Will this aggravate my pneumonia? What other health risk might cause me and my co-employees having been assigned to work in a 6 square meters server room with 17 degrees temperature?

Thanks in advance.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:36 pm

User avatar Hello,
Pneumonia is a sever form chest infections that is diagnosed primarily by clinical picture, examination and radiological investigation of the chest (X-ray or CT).

The causative organism is defined by sputum culture and sensitivity as a wide variety of bacterial and viral organisms can cause pneumonia. Fungal infections are more seen in immunocompromised patients.

Treatment is in the form of antibiotic course that is usually long enough to eradicate the infection. Doses, duration and type of antibiotic therapy is determined by the severity and the type of infection. Hospitalization is usually needed in most of the cases.

Physician usually recommend a follow up X-ray in 2-4 weeks of treatment to make sure that the lungs are clean and the patient is not at risk of complications.

Your symptoms indicate that your lung or at least the bronchi is still recovering and more cautions is needed. Avoiding cold moist air, specially sudden changes in the temperature of the surrounding environment, closed places, smoking etc is an important measure.

If you are on antibiotics for that period of time and you do not have a colored (yellow, dark, green) sputum, it is less likely that you are still infective and people around are not at risk of catching infecting from you.

However, it is always better to follow up with your Doctor get checked properly to ensure your and your colleagues safety. He will be more aware of your condition and will advise you with the most convenient measures to avoid relapse.

Hope you find this information useful.
Please keep us updated.
Best regards.
 virtualhost - Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:30 pm

Thank you, Dr. Mamoud for the advise; really appreciate it.

I don't have a colored sputum, just a colorless but quite thick matter when I cough.

The server room where I used to work 8 hours a day/6 days a week is an enclosed room and its pretty cold. Will this worsen my pneumonia? I heard that certain viruses/bacterias love cold places.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:14 pm

User avatar Hello,
As I said before you seem to be not completely recovered so more cautions is needed. Avoiding cold moist air (like air conditions), especially sudden changes in the temperature of the surrounding environment, closed places; smoking etc is an important measure.

If this can not be done you better be checked by your doctor he would recommend an X-ray chest to make sure your lungs are clear.

Follow up with your doctor would be essential once any symptoms occur.
Please keep us updated.
Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here