Question: Chest pain on the right side near armpit when pressed

phoenix_down10 - Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:44 am

I have this some sort of pain on my right chest to the upper right of my nipple near my armpit but not on my armpit itself. It's around the area that forms an arch between the arm and the chest. I think its in the pectoral muscle area. This pain only occurs when my arm is stretched or when i press it firmly. The pain also occurs when I rotate my arm and while I eat. The area above my right shoulder blade near my neck (near my back side) also has pain when i press on it firmly. It is not a severe kind of pain, but it feels weird and out of place. I've read a lot of articles and forums suggesting gallbladder disease, but this I am uncertain of. I am male, 19 years old, slightly overweight but nonetheless healthy. I don't smoke nor drink. I've been having this pain on and off for a while now. Please reply and help me out. I am a bit worried about this. Thanks!
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:34 pm

You can write off the gallbladder problem (at least as a cause of the pain you've written about here). This is too high up, and were it gallbladder-related, would not cause tenderness on pressure.

This sounds very much like a musculoskeletal problem. It could be an inflamed pectoral muscle, or possibly a tendon/ligament attached to the pec. The fact that pressure upon the muscle above your shoulder blade on the same side also suggests that either you are chronically doing something to irritate both areas (which do work in concert), or, as a remote possibility, this may be caused by a condition known as thoracic outlet syndrome (TOS), although this would normally cause pain, tingling and even puffiness in the hand on that side. More likely it is a repetitive motion injury or infflammation due to an overuse or strain of the right shoulder girdle at some time in the past.

This should respond to non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications, over-the-counter types, such as ibuprofin or naproxyn, taken according to directions on the package. If not, then you might need to see a doctor who can evaluate this for physical therapy or even possibly an intramuscular steroid injection to relieve the inflammation.

I hope this helps. Best of luck to you.

|