Question: 20y/o chest pain

jshep - Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:45 pm

Hello im a 20 y/o male, and i'm am in pretty good health. But the last year or so i've been having unexplained chest pain, i've been to the emergency room a number of times never anything wrong. I also went to a cadiologist about two months ago and had a stress test and echocadiogram, and blood work everything o.k...... but i still have this pressure and discomfort in my chest and sometimes in my throat and it sometimes becomes worse when i lay down..... should i see another cadiologist are where would you recommend i do to get to the bottom of this Thanks alot
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:25 pm

User avatar Hi there -

Since you've had all the appropriate workups to rule out heart problems, and since this worsens when you lie down, I strongly suspect either gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) or a hiatal hernia (they both have the same symptoms and respond to the same medications). Lying down will often aggravate either one. I am going to assume you tolerate exercise well, and that this doesn't aggravate the pain. (If I'm wrong, please let me know). This would just about nail down a diagnosis of esophageal problems, due either to GERD or hiatal hernia. These are usually easily treated with oral meds.

I hope this is helpful to you. Best of luck, and plase do follow up with us as needed.

|