News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Band of pain across back & chest - painful swallowing

Clairex1x - Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:26 am

Everytime I eat food, it hurts when I swallow. The pain is about half way down my eosophogus and started about 3 days ago. At first I thought it was indegestion so I took some liquid Gaviscon and Rennies, that helped slightly but now I think the pain is getting worse. There is no pain when I breathe, only when I eat. It feels as though there is something hard stuck in my eosophogus. So I can only really eat liquid foods at the moment. There is now a band of pain acroos my back and chest. I am not sure as to what it is and was wondering if you could shed any light on it. Thanx. Claire.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:17 pm

User avatar Hello Claire -

What you describe sounds most like a spasm or stricture of the esophagus. It could be something else, but since it is triggered by swallowing food it most sounds like an esophageal problem. Rarely, however, and especially in women, heart problems can present themselves in very atypical fashion, and while such a thing is extremely unlikely, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that this should re ruled out. It really seems most likely a spasm of the esophagus (a stricture shouln't show up so abruptly; spasm can start any time). Either esophageal problem could be treated with oral medication and possibly some dietary caution.

if it weren't for that "band of pain." That's what makes me feel a heart problem, however unlikely, should be ruled out, and this should be easy to do. Then you might be prescribed something for what is very likely an esophageal problem.

I hope this is helpful to you. Please follow up here as necessary.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here