News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Asthma

Question: Asthma? Pleurasy? or both?

rlcripe - Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:49 pm

Dr:

I noticed this summer that I was having a hard time getting a good, deep, "cleansing" breath. I finally went to the Dr. in August and have been back at least once a month since. I cannot seem to get a good breath and am having chest pain. Obviously, not heart-attack associated chest pain, but pain in my lungs; some days are worse than others. It seems to be constant of late and I am frustrated with all the different meds I've tried to no avail. I've had prednisone, a z-pac and a few different inhalers.

I had blood work done yesterday, looking for anemia and thyroid problems as I also feel tired and worn-out all the time. Also am switching from effexor to paxil to limit any panic-related asthma attacks I may be having.

Any thoughts on my diagnosis? I just feel like I need a second opinion.

Thanks a million!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:12 am

User avatar Hi rlcripe,
Finding the best medication for asthma treatment at times takes some trial and error. Have you had any sort of nebulizer or aeresol treatments instead of the inhalers? As for pleurisy, some of the symptoms are:recent or present respiratory illness with its symptoms ,cough ,fever ,malaise ,localized chest pain on the chest wall, pain with each breath worsened by coughing and worsened by deep breathing. This can cause considerable amount of pain. I certainly hope that besides the blood work, that you have had some other testing, for example, a chest xray, pulmonary function studies, etc. Since your current treatment doesn't seem to be working, please discuss this with your physician for additional options.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here