Question: Bronchitis how long should it typicaly last ???

koz1980 - Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:31 pm

I was diagnosed with brochitis around halloween at the ER and i was sent home with anitbiotics ( Ciprofloaxin ) and an inhailer (albuterol) and i still to this day am having to use my inahailer because of wheezing and shortness of breath ... I have no other previous medical conditions but I was a smoker for several years but quit right before i was diagnosed with brochitis ... I just can't seem to shake it off how long can i expect this to go on its partiually worse in the morning with phlegm thats the only time i really cough at all
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

User avatar Hi there -

Bronchitis, if acute, usually will resolve anywhere between a few days and a few weeks. However, it can become chronic, especially if secondary to a sinus infection or other underlying cause of infection or irritation. It can also turn into asthma in certain subjects (usually people who already have had some allergy problems).

If the infection seems to have resolved but the wheezing, coughing and shortness of breath continues, you'll need to be re-evaluated with an eye toward possible asthma subsequent to bronchitis. The treatment is generally the same, but it may go on indefinitely if that's the problem. In either case it can be intermittent and chronic or, if it's just relapsing bronchits, it may resolve given enough time. You may also need to have one or more breathing treatments (using a nebulizer) in the doctor's office to help loosen up the secretions.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you, and please follow up with us and let us know how you're doing.
 koz1980 - Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:40 pm

thanks for you advice i appreciate it ... I do have some allergies itchy throat nose eyes and ears and some sneezing and when i feel them comming on i take an antihistamine . I have noticed now that the weezing and shortness of breath come on almost always after i ride a bike or do something active to get my breathing up ..and also sometimes in the morning i wake up with a little bit of phelgm i cough up I am now out of my albuterol inhaler and was wondering if over the counter primeatine mist would work until i can get a refil on the prescribed albuterol ?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:32 pm

User avatar You very likely have, then, exercise-induced asthma, possibly secondary to gastroesophageal reflux disease (the connection was only relatively recently made), as well as some allergies, and treating both will probably yield the best results.

Primatine Mist may work for you temporarily. It's just epinepherine and not as strong in effect as you'd get in an Albuterol inhaler, but it may make things tolerable for you in the interim. Since Primatine Mist is less predictable in effect than Albuterol you really need to be careful not to exceed the recommended doseage and to follow instructions for use closely -- just as with Albuterol. It's there, and in a pinch it works well for some people when they can't get their hands on the genuine article.

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you.

|