News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: slight chest pressure, heavy cough, slight trouble breathing

jaguarsfan - Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:55 pm

Alright, about a month (December 1st) I had a tooth swell up, so I made a dentist appointment and it turned out to be for Dec 10th. I didn't want to wait that long, so I went to a walk in clinic on December 8th and the Dr prescribed me Keflex 500mg twice a day. I took that until the 17th when I had a checkup appointment made with the dentist. At that time I told them I was having upset stomachs and slight stomach pain. They prescribed me Penicillin VK 500mg 4 times a day. On the 19th, I started to feel a little chest pressure. It wasn't accompanied with any pain, it just felt like someone was pressing down slightly. It occured on the center of my chest and then it moved over to my lower left breast. It would tingle a few times, but only for a few minutes and it rarely occured. My g/f had a real bad case of the flu a few days before xmas and it lasted until the weekend after. I started coughing real bad like her on Dec 26th. I went to another walk in clinic (I don't have a general doctor unfortunately) on December 29th and told them about the pressure and the coughing. They took my vitals and temperature and said they couldnt find anything abnormal, no swelling on my sides or anything of that nature and told me to just monitor it. After that I called the dentist that prescribed my the Penicillin and told them the same story. They called in a new prescription for Amoxicillin 500mg 4 times a day. A few hours after leaving the walk-in with my cough still bad I started to feel it was slightly difficult to breath in through my mouth. When I would cough to try and loosen up my chest it seemed as though it did nothing. It's basically come and gone for almost days now. I don't have any fevers, or trouble in my breathing rhythm, it just feels as if occasionally it requires a little more effort breathing in through my mouth. I'm not having any chest pain at all except for some soreness right below my chest occasionally when I cough.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:49 pm

User avatar Hi there -

The pressure you describe doesn't sound cardiac in nature, but it does seem to follow your having taken certain antibiotics, so I'm wondering if it may be due to some mild asthma as part of an allergic reaction to one of the drugs you were prescribed, or if one or more of those have caused some GI distress that's being referred up into your left chest (many times bloating or pressure in the splenic flexure of the colon -- the corner it where it turns downward on your left side) can be referred up into your chest.

The cough also could be part of an atypical asthma presentation or, if you've been exposed to influenza, you may have had a mild case of that (the antibiotics wouldn't have any effect on it) and have now wound up with a sequal of bronchitis.

I'd just have this sorted out with a visit to your regular doctor. Hope this helps. Best of luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here