News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: phlegm

smiley - Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:56 pm

Hi,

I've had this chronic phlegm for the last 2 years. I just start to salivate excessively and have to swallow. i also start to feel nauseous from all the phlegm. also, it feels like theres something caught in my throat. i cant breathe that well out of my nostrils either. my doctor gave me 5 days of cefzil b/c he said he saw a hint of a nasal infection, but the symptoms only went away for a few days and now they are black. i also spit up black specks in my phlegm in the mornings.

pls advise!!!

-smiley
 Carolyn Merritt, LPN - Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:42 am

User avatar Hello:
Having a chronic cough for two years with phlegm that has black specks in it, could indicate a more serious lung condition. I would suggest you return to your doctor and let him know about the black specks. A full exam of your lungs and air passages to rule out anything serious would be what I would recommend to you.
Regards,
Carolyn
 smiley - Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:18 am

Hi Carolyn!! =)

Thanks for responding! The problem is, I don't have a chronic cough, its just that i spit out thick clear phlegm with the black specks in the mornings only when i do a deep clearing of my throat.

Do you still think this could be a serious lung condition?

-Smiley :D
 zammie - Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:10 am

i wake up in the morning to clear my throat i see small black specks, earlier i had cough and i was treated using cough mixture and antibiotics, the cough stopped. i want to know if its serious.
i am not a smoker, i have not smoked in my life.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here