News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: Common Cold gone worse?

VanenaRodz85 - Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:41 am

I've been battling this problem for the past 3 weeks. There is phlegm/mucus that builds up in my throat and I start to cough/spit it out...the problem with that is, while I'm coughing out the junk in my throat, my nose also clogs up and I can't breathe. Once I finish coughing I can blow my nose....the color of the mucus started 3 weeks ago as clear with some yellow occasionally, but now the mucus is a very dark yellow with small amounts of blood or another red substance. Only on 1 occasion did I blow my nose and had green mucus.

I've looked in my throat and I can tell it's a little raw from all the coughing, and I have a headache for a while after a coughing spell. Other than that I suffer no pain.

I've been drinking hot tea, eating my oranges, using Vicks VaporRub, taking Day/NyQuil, and even kept away from all dariy products. What else can I do?

My mother originally thought that I was just dealing with a normal cold or possibly the flu, but now I'm not sure.

Please help me!
 Carolyn Merritt, LPN - Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:36 am

User avatar Hello:
It sounds like your "common" cold had developed into a possible sinus infection. Do you have any pain or tenderness under the eye area or across the eyebrow area when you press on it with your fingertips? Sometimes a cough from a cold can last for a couple of weeks past the initial cold, but if things appear to be getting worse, it may be time to see the doctor and have an antibiotic prescribed.
Regards,
Carolyn

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here