News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: Positive Mantoux test

dnsz89 - Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:56 am

I am 19. Recently I underwent medical check up and Mantoux test as it was required by my sponsor. I've done the test 2 years ago and it was a negative.
Now the test shows a measurement of 1.5 cm. The result was positive.
However my x-ray was normal.
I've had BCG immunization when I was 12.
I doubt that I have come into close contact with anyone with TB.
I'm a healthy girl with no health complications whatsoever.
Is it possible that I have TB?
Should I go for further check up?
does the normal xray rule out TB?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:57 pm

User avatar Hi there -

While it is less likely that you have TB, having had a clear chest x-ray, this doesn't absolutely rule out an infection. The x-ray is a screening tool largely, and sometimes one can have TB without yet having developed any lesions that would show up. After prolonged infection (which can continue undetected in many people for quite a long time), a later x-ray would probably not come up clear.

For this reason, and because your test was positive (even though these can sometimes turn up false positives), it would be far wiser to follow up to be sure, rather than take a chance on becoming ill (and spreading the disease) later on. If you're truly TB-free then that will be great news. If not, that will be useful to know so you can be treated for it and keep yourself healthy.

Good luck to you. Please keep us updated here.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here