News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Sarcoidosis in chest and eyes

AnneMay - Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:33 am

I have a confirmed diagnosis of sarcoidosis in my right lung and lymph nodes in my chest. My question is: Would sarcoidosis of the eye cause the root of the optic nerve to swell?
I was at the eye doctors and was told that the root of my optic nerve was very swollen which speaks of swelling in the brain. The doctor left without faxing info to my pulmonolgist and PCP as he said he would and there is only a short note in my file. I am worried to say the least and would like to know if I should be racing off to the doctor and if this could be just another thing I have to deal with, with having sarcardosis. Thank you for your time. Annemarie
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:47 pm

User avatar Hi there -

Sarcoidosis can involve the eyes and one type of involvement can cause swelling of the optic nerve with increased intracranial pressure (ICP) so yes, this could be related to sarcoidosis and should be checked ASAP. If it is due to sarcoidosis the outcome, with prompt and correct treatment, is usually pretty good, so the prognois should be promising. However, there is always the Awful Coincidence Phenomenon to consider, wherein more than one thing is going on at the same time -- and there's no rule against having more than one problem at once.

If sarcoidosis is ruled out I hope your doctor will aggressively pursue the cause of the swelling, as there are a number of serious problems that can also cause this, and while they are generally manageable, it only works if the cause can be discovered.

I hope this is helpful. Please follow up with us as needed and also keep us updated as to anything new. Good luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here