Forum Name: Asthma

Question: Sudden Asthma Symptoms... Weather or Allergy?

maven2379 - Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:15 am

Hello

My son is 6 years old, right before Christmas my sister in law lost her apartment (again) and she had two cats that needed a home, we took them in (the cats not her), at around the same time my son came down with a cold. He had a cough, runny nose etc... but, his cough only got worse, he was wheezing, and could not breathe normally, I took him to the doctor, within moments I was told he had asthma. We have been using a nebulizer, the doctor said to use it for 3 weeks, and every 6 hours, the time is up and my son is getting no better, his symptoms continue to get worse. The doctor wants to put him on steroids and on a different asthma control medication. I have asked the doctor if the cats could be the cause, because my son has never had any breathing problems, prior to now. he said "well...it could be... but it is probably the weather". I live right outside New Orleans, La, and the weather here is just as crazy as it has ever been. Does asthma just develop and/or are there prior warning signs? Can the cats be what is causing this? My son has had no previous incident with any sort of breathing problems, the only change in his environment has been the addition of two cats.

Thank You!
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:33 pm

"The weather" doesn't really explain much of anything. The cats may or may not be responsible. Has your son spent time with them before? If so, was there any respiratory distress or even cold symptoms? While the cats are certainly suspect, asthma can (and usually does) appear suddenly, but there is also usually a cause, something new introduced into the environment. However, many times a new airborne allergy can cause it, and it doesn't necessarily have to be the cats. The cats are, however, more suspect than "the weather." The only weather condition that might aggravate new asthma would be a sudden, very cold snap, with extremely dry air. I haven't been following the weather in N.O., but seriously doubt it's turned frigid there recently.

Your son should be tested for cat dander and the whole spectrum of usual suspect allergens by an allergist, and if he comes up positive for cat dander then the obvious would be confirmed. If it's something else, you can work on eliminating whatever it may be.

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you -- and your son.

|