Question: Constant Cough, Tightness in Throat, etc.

TRoche - Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:33 pm

Hello all and thanks in advance for your opinions.

I have gone to the Doctor for this three times, have gotten chest x-rays, have taken many different tests, have multiple more appointments to look into this, and am just a little frustrated with the situation. I have faith in my Dr., but I just want to get through thisand any suggestions or points I can bring up with my doctor would be greatly appreciated.

I have had a weird cough for about 2 months now, more of a dry hack, a single cough, caused by a constant tickle in the back of my throat. I do ahve a bit of a tight throat (not neccessarily sore, just feels tight) and an occasionally difficulty in swallowing (difficulty, not pain). it seems to be especially tight right behind my larynx, but can be felt down my neck. The tightness might come from two months of coughing, or it could be a sympton of the larger problem, I am not sure as I do nto remember if the tightness came with cough or 2 months of coughing caused the tight throat. Glands seem normal. No history of any gland problems, no asthma, no breathing problems other then a small hay fever problem. Feel fine other then the awkward tight throat and the constant cough that gets in the way of all physical activity (and life in general). It does not happen more often at any particular part of the day. Have had chest x-rays, post nasal drip medication, blood work, and am going for EKG testing to rule out a breathing problem that would cause the cough that would cause the tight throat, but I really feel that it is in my neck/throat area. I screamed a lot during the red sox world series win/ beat myself up with a lot of late nights around that time, and the cough started shortly afterwards. Another item that I completely forgot about until reminded by a friend, I was grabbed pretty hard by the neck about 8 months ago during in a hockey game - it caused no injury at the time and I did not have to go to the dr, but it was a hard enough blow that my friend remembered it. Could this manifest itself as a problem 8 months later after a lot of screaming?

Thanks for you time...
 Dr. Russell M - Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:41 am

User avatar Hi!

Perhaps you would like to discuss with your doctor regarding manometry studies to find pressure changes within your upper gastrointestinal tract.

bill
 pablo - Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:09 pm

Hi
I have exactly the same condition... at moment my throat is very tight... but it comes and goes.... i just had another bad chest infection(lat time was three times in one year)
i had another cheast xray this year ,but nothing found and im expecting results of blood test soon........... just wondered if you got any wiser to your condition? i know you posted in jan... but thought i would give it a try......... cheers... :D
 foxfer - Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:12 am

Constant Coughing attacks, itchy throat, sometimes on the left side of my throat, sometimes on the right side. I cough so hard sometimes it makes me want to vomit. It is always a dry cough. My throat gets tight. When I cough my mouth waters and my eyes water too. What the heck is wrong with me. I have had this cough for 3 -4 weeks now. I went to the doctor. He told me that my lungs were clear and I probably have allergies. I have taken Claritin, Zyrtec, Allegra, Benadryl...You name it, I've tried it. What now?
 jofax - Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:31 pm

hi! i've been coughing 4 days know after having a fever. On the fourth day of coughing i saw blood on my flem is this something to alarm about??

this is the first time i saw blood in flem
 jen157 - Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:54 pm

I find it odd that your doctor hasn't been able to find out what is wrong. After x rays and blood work they should be able to pinpoint the situation. You may want to get a referral to a specialist before something gets worse.

|