Question: chest pain

katee - Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:16 pm

i have pain in my chest. i get it every now and then and its only been happening for about the past month and a half. i have been to my doctor and had a ecg if thats what its called (the test where they put the sticky things on ur chest to see how ur hearts functioning) and it was normal. im on previcid. today the pain is worse than usual and has lasted around 4 hours so far. im not sure if its heart burn. i do get pain after running alot also but the pain is a little different . i am out of shape. the pain comes on though even when im doing nothing today i was sitting down checking my emails and the pain came on i did drink some peach juice...
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:23 pm

User avatar Dear kate,

The chest contains many organs, like the heart, lungs with its pleural covering, esophagus, muscles, ribs, tendons, and nerves.
They all can be the source of the pain felt in the chest.

Sometimes Chest pain is not originating from the chest itself; instead it is due to problems in the digestive tract. These problems include IBS, Gastritis and Gastric ulcer, GER. But these medical problems are usually related to meals and are not related to deep breath or physical exercises. Pain in the center of the chest can be due to esophageal causes like esophageal spasm and esophagitis or due to GERD.

People with GERD will experience one or more of these symptoms,
Chest pain,
Pain in the throat,
Morning hoarseness, and
Discomfort in the chest
Others may experience a feeling like the food stuck in their throat or tightness in the throat, dry Cough and Shortness of breath. These symptoms are mainly due to inflammation of the esophagus(esophagus)

Overexertion of the chest wall muscles or their inflammation as a part of viral infection like flu or cold results also in Chest pain, the pain is usually aggravated with certain moves and is usually associated with tenderness over the affected muscles. Pain due to rib or chest wall bone disease is also another cause of Chest pain.

Cardiac causes, should be excluded in any case of Chest pain.

Psychological or emotional stress and Anxiety, in these cases the diagnosis is made by exclusion of other causes.

I advise you to follow up with your doctor. Only by complete history and physical examination, the correct diagnosis can be reached.

|