Question: Couged up heavy clear phlegm

S. Process - Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:03 pm

After eating simple durum wheat pasta with no sauce, I coughed up heavy clear phlegm for about 5 minutes. This has happened before after eating pasta, but it does not happen every time I eat pasta. What's happening?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:38 pm

User avatar Dear S. Process,

Actually it sounds strange for me to relate these symptoms to the Pasta, however, food is a well known cause (allergen) of many allergic symptoms like throat irritation leading to cough .
If the condition is repeated you have to be investigated for food allergies.
In such cases nothing can help like avoidance of the allergen.

Similar symptoms are related to GERD. In such cases the reflux of irritant components in the esophagus and the throat results in cough and throat and chest pain.
Certain foods are known to aggravate the condition including chocolate, beverages containing caffeine, fatty and fried foods, garlic and onions, spicy and tomato containing foods.

I advise you to be checked by your doctor for proper management.
Keep us updated.
 S. Process - Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:29 pm

I do not believe that I have GERD, as no other symptoms exist to validate this diagnosis. Also, I do not have an allergy to pasta or to gluten.

I have found, in trials I have conducted in my diet, that salt that contains iodine seem to provoke the response that I experienced and reported in my original message posted on this site. I am hypothyroid, and do understand that iodine is prospectively an issue in my metabolism.

I have had some testing done by a immunologist, with no siginificantly conclusive information provided regarding food allergies. Apparently, I have some sort of intolerance of seafoods, including bivalve mollusks. The suspicion is, again, iodine, in my most humble non-medical opinion. The good doc advised me to diligently observe my physical response when I change dietary intake, and to avoid foods that appear to cause intolerance. It has been suggested that I do not produce the necessary digestive enzymes required to metabolize shellfish.

Thank you, again, for the courtesy of your response.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:02 pm

User avatar Dear S. Process,

Thank you for updating us with this information.

Good news that you are starting to identify the possible allergen in your food that causes these symptoms.

To observe your response when you change the dietary intake to better identify the food elements for which you have allergy is a very helpful approach.

In cases of food allergy, nothing can help like avoidance of the allergen, thus identifying the allergen is essential.

Keep us updated.

|