Question: Whistling and gurgling coming from my chest

ayamonte - Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:44 pm

Hello, i'm hoping you may have a answer for me, I am 29 and I have been smoking for 15 years between 10 and 15 a day. I have started to get a very loud whistling and gurgling noise from my chest I have had this for about 3 months now, and I can get it without notice one second I breath normaly then the next breath is makeing a noise sometimes this can last for a few minutes but never more than 5 really, it tends to be more frequant when im laying down or at night when im going to bed, I have noticed my usual smokers cough has become deeper and a lot more raspy I also get a huge amount of mucus which i have had for years and am constantly coughing and clearing my throat when i do this it feels like a lump actually moves from the chest but sometimes I don't get any mucus to spit out it's almost like im just clearing a blockage, my lungs burn occasionaly and I also but not frequantly get a cough where it feels like im going to be sick but actually end up with a mouthfull of clear liquid that feels like it's come from my chest rather than my belly, the strange thing is I haven't felt anymore out of breath than usual I own a transport company so I am used to physical work even though at the moment I have kidney stones a chronic back and groin pain and haven't worked for a month I don't really get short of breath apart from when i have a ciggaret occasionaly, also may be unrelated but my ears have started to ring a lot and again without warning it just comes on sometimes in one ear or both i put this down to titnus but maybe related i don't know. Any infomation you may have would be much appreciated as im not one for visiting the DOC Many thanks for your time. OH PS i am trying to give up
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:09 pm

Even though you are a marginal smoker this is not helping the situation and could well be the cause. It's difficult to know. At any rate, you have something going on in there that should not be happening, and it could be chronic bronchitis or it could be a pneumonia (this does not necessarily make you feel profoundly sick, at least for a while). Although you're not one to go to the doc I would strongly suggest you make an exception, have a thorough exam including chest x-ray, and have this diagnosed and treated, because it will either become chronic bronchitis or pneumonia or, perhaps worst chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). You may have asthma, as well, and not realize it. It's pretty amazing how we adapt to slow, progressive compromise of body systems until something starts to really get severe. Since you're not having symptoms so far, you may well be able to dodge a bullet if you get yourself in to the doc ASAP and have this thing diagnosed and treated.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you. Please follow up here as needed.

|