Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: Mantoux testing and BCG vaccine

vickers - Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:28 am

I had a mantoux test in march of 08, where they said i didnt need the vaccine, i was talking to a friend last week who didnt think that was right so i checked it last week and i should have had the vaccine, my result was 0.0mm so Negative. I was wondering if i need to have the mantoux test again or if i can just have the BCG vaccine?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:09 pm

I'm not certain why you need the vaccine (unless you're traveling where it might be required or prudent) but you have no contraindication to having it, since your Mantoux test was 100 per cent negative. You require no treatment for TB. Use of the BCG vaccine is somewhat controversial, depending on what part of the world you're living in, but you certainly are okay to have it if it's needed, based on your test result. If the local protocol calls for an annual Mantoux test then you should of course repeat it, Otherwise you should be fine.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck to you.

|