Question: Chest Niggling Pains & Bad headaches after Exercise

bookmaker4u - Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:30 am

I have just started to exercise again after a few years to get myself in shape i am 37 and currently 16 stone,6ft.
I have started fast walking and light jogging about 20 minutes a day,only done this now 3 times in 1 week and i have been getting really bad headaches also niggling chest pains it different areas of chest and also i feel my chest is very tight.
I have currently been feeling nausea most days and i am having blood tests etc for this and awaiting results.
a couple of years ago i was told i had ibs after having the bacteria bug hpylori which i took medication for to get rid of.since having the eradication kit i have had bad bowel pains and usually feel like i need the toilet all the time,i was checked with a camera and was told it was ibs.
So now trying to get fit with these sharp niggling pains should i continue to exercise is this normal to feel tight after not exercising for a while.and my headaches is this also normal.can you help as i feel worried im going to have a heart attack or something is serioulsy wrong with me.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:03 pm

The chest pains you describe do not sound like they are cardiac in nature (not even the atypical type that actually are typical for women). However, something is causing them, and while it could be simply that you've been away from the gym for a while, it also could be GI related, since a lot of different GI problems can cause chest discomfort during exercise. It can be due to gastroesophageal reflux causing exercise-induced astham, it can be IBS with pressure up against the diaphragm causing referred pains in random areas of the chest, etc. These are not serious, but it all needs to be sorted out in order for you to feel okay about your exercise program and being healthy.

Headaches are so common and sometimes so very difficult to pin down, that your best bet may be to play detective with that and keep a journal of what you eat and do before, during and after exercise and look for patterns that correlate with the headaches.

Other than that I would simply wait for the results of the bloodwork and use that as a taking-off point.

Please do follow up with us, especially once you've gotten the lab results. Good luck to you.

|