Question: Type A cystic fibrosis

franny219 - Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:55 pm

My boyfriend,16, has had trouble breathing and he has a cough that has been going on for a long time. They thought it was asthma but it ended up not being it. Because of the asthma medicene it hyperinflated his lungs. He went to the doctor and he said that he might have type "A' Cystic Fibrosis. Do you know what that is? I know of Cystic Fibrosis but not type "A"
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:46 pm

First, no, I have no knowlege of anything known as "Type A" cystic fibrosis and am unable to find any reference in the literature or on line. This may be a reference to some subset not normally used, as there are some oddball types of CF that aren't really like the classic form, but again, never heard of anything called "Type A."

Second, most CF patients are identified in infancy, and "possible" CF is a very wild throw of the dart, since there are definite diagnostic criteria for this disease. It's not hard to diagnose and again, is usually picked up early in life, sometimes even in utero. I'm having a hard time imagining this as any sort of classic CF.

Since this has me completely stumped what I will do is refer this post to the pulmonary team here at The Doctor's Lounge and will also provide a link to the website for the CF Foundation, which you may find helpful since you can use the information there to compare with what you're currently seeing in your boyfriend. Here it is: http://www.cff.org/

Please check back here in a day or two and see if anyone has advanced any additional insights or ideas about this odd finding and obscure "type." Good luck to you both.

|