News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Poor exercise tolerance

love_Angel_Music - Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:22 am

Im an 18 year old female. I find it hard to sustain exercise due to shortness of breath and a tight feeling in my chest. This also occurs granted much mild in cases such as walking upstairs or at random intervals for no reason.

Ive never been extremely physically fit but am not over weight. Currently training in taekwondo 3/4nights a week and attempting to run most days but struggerling to run more than 500/600m due to shortness of breath. I also had to drop out of sparing in taekwondo tonight as I just couldn’t breath this is getting annoying as im due to grade for black belt in a few months.

I don’t know if this is relevant but I also suffered from recurrent nose bleeds as a kid with it having to be cauterised as an emergency multiple times. Also could this poor exercise tolerance be linked to my hayfever and what can I do to improve thanks.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:54 pm

User avatar Hi there --

While this definitely could be related to your hay fever and history of nosebleeds (probably also related to each other), you may even have asthma, which often presents insidiously and without loud, obvious wheezing.

You definitely should have at least a general medical exam with an eye toward uncovering any possible lung problem, and in particular to rule out asthma, especially exercise-induced type.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you. Please follow up with us here as needed.
 love_Angel_Music - Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:09 pm

Thanks very much for the advice. Ive been to see my GP and been diagnosed with exercise induced asthma

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here