News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: difficulty breathing due to concrete inhalation

nuwanda - Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:31 am

I've been remodeling a small bath, ripping out tiles,sanding concrete in a small unventilated area over several days. ( i know, pretty supid) Until I started having breathing problems (especially during sleep), and experiencing a raspy voice and constant soreness and knot in my throat, I didn't think about using a breathing mask. I realize now I was breathing in a high concentration of this stuff and at this point, wonder about any damage done. It's been a couple of weeks and my symptoms have subsided somewhat and are bearable, but they're not completely gone. Should I see a physician at this point (would rather not for financial reasons, unless it would be helpful)? What might s/he do to remedy any damage caused by my carelessness?
Many thanks for your consideration.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:09 pm

User avatar Hello --

First of all, while an unfortunate oversight it's not exactly stupid. Happens all the time, and usually with an okay outcome. However, I would strongly recommend a visit to the doctor so as to assess possible damage (probably no lasting, but it is possible) and also possible symptomatic treatment, possibly in the form of steroids, either oral or inhaled. Well worth it, I would think, for peace of mind and some possible smoothing of rough edges as things become soothed. Also, assuming no long-term bad effects, this would be a great thing to not repeat, and you already know that, so all in all probably a handy lesson.

Hope this is helpful and seriously, I would see a doctor just to be clear on things and maybe help ease this along. Good luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here