Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: Exercise with acute Bronchitis?

chrisA1234 - Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:10 am

My doctor says i probably have acute Bronchitis or the less likely whooping cough. I have been taking antibiotics for nearly 2 days now and i was wondering if its ok to do some light exercise ?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:28 pm

While it's not generally practical to exercise vigorously during this sort of problem (either one will limit what you can do), light exercise is okay if you feel up to it, and if you do not build up an oxygen debt by working harder than you can keep the air moving. If you begin to cough spasmodically during any exercise you'll need to stop at once, and it's probably best to just give this a few days to get a better feel for where it's going before you resume any serious exercise. Whooping cough, in particular, can really put a cramp in your exercise program, so please be cautious in what you do. Basically your body should tell you if what you're doing is okay or too much.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you with this and please follow up with us as needed.
 chrisA1234 - Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:54 am

Thanks for the help. I haven't been feeling lethargic, ill or stressed out at all and i've managed to control the coughing fits to just some steady coughs - just to clear the mucus and to avoid gagging and vomiting.

|