Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: Fibrotic Scanning seen and tiny calcification found during C

Sandeep777 - Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:57 pm

Fibrotic Scanning seen and tiny calcification found during Chest X-Ray

I am 39 year old male from India, I have no major health problem. I am married for past 9 years and have a healthy son, age 8 years. I am not overweight 80 kgs, Height 185 centimeters, my Blood Pressure is good 110/70, i have no cholestrol problem, but i have my SGPT/SGOT running on a slightly hiigher side (got to know of it since past 3 years), as during one sonography it was revealed that i have "moderate degree of diffuse fat infiltration" in my liver. I do not drink or smoke at all.

About 3 years ago, during a regular Chest X-Ray P.A., it was revealed- " Minimal fibrotic scarring is seen in right apex with tiny calcification in left upper zone". I have never got any tuberculosis or any other major disease, hence to rule out any possibility a C.T. Scan (COMPUTED TOMOGRAPHY) was carried out, in that the following was mentioned:

"Thin axial plain sections were obtained for both the lungs on high resolution algorithm.

A small sub centimeter sized rounded nodule with calcification is noted in the left upper lobe representing healed granuloma. Rest of the lung fields show no significant parenchymal or intersitial abnormality. No evidence of any fibrosis, honeycombing, air space consolidation and bronchiectasis is noted.

The trachea and main stem bronchi appears normal.

The pleural spaces appears normal.

No obvious mediastinal or hilar mass lesion is seen.

Impression- No active disease is noted."

Recently for a Employment Visa medical test, during Chest X-Ray, " OLD CALCIFIED FOCI LEFT UPPER ZONE OF LUNG" has become a cause of rejection for me on medical grounds.

Could you please tell me if this is really serious, if so what extra test i need to undergo? Also is there any medication or minor surgical procedure to get rid of this calcification, as i understand that there was something at some time, but now there is no disease and it is only left there as a mark or remains.

Please reply!

Thanks.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:38 pm

Thanks for your comprehensive history and background. This is a great help. What you have is extremely common in TB-prone areas, and usually is due to having inhaled a tubercal bacterium, which is then walled off and no infection takes place. The encapsulation becomes calcified over time, which makes it even more secure as a rule. While other things, such as an inflammation due to pneumonia or some other inhaled matter can also cause this, it is most often due to TB bacterium being trapped and sealed off in the lung. It represents no medical problem unless for some reason it is disturbed later, in which case sometimes the dormant bacterium can become activated. Usually, however, they are dead after this long.

I feel it is unreasonable in most cases to refuse a person work based on this finding, as it so rarely causes a problem. However, where a visa is involved there sometimes is required an appeal process to get past this obstacle, since many countries will not accept anyone who is even remotely suspect of having been exposed to TB. The fact is this is likely to pose no medical problem to you. As to the employment visa, yes, I know this is sometimes an issue. I would try and find out if there is an appeals process you can follow, since this really is a trivial finding.

I hope this is helpful to you. Good luck with this and please follow up with us here as needed.

|