Forum Name: Pneumonia

Question: genetic disposition to pnemonia

RebsKas - Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:26 am

I had pneumonia 6-7 times while younger- often severe enough to reequire hospitalization w/ oxygen. Eventually, the DRs started me on Gamma Globulin Therapy for about 2 yrs. Afterwards, only got pneumonia twice more from about 10 yrs old to present.

My question: My 7 yr old cannot seem to get rid of what has been diagnosed "atypical pneumonia" and she has been in the hospital for 3 days. She was originally diagnosed end of March and is still having issues. She had been given the "Z-Pack" at the initial diagnosis along with Prednisone. In the hospital, they gave her albuterol treatments (the smoky thingy) and then switched to the regular inhaler. As of now- she only has an albuterol inhaler for whenever she wheezes severly.

Is it possible she may have inherited my predisposition to contract and keep pneumonia and is this something I should bring up when I see her reg DR this afternoon?

Thank you!
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:28 pm

While it is a rare genetic defect, there is such a one and it's well worth investigating the posibility that your daughter has inherited the trait you had to deal with. Since what she has is being called "atypical" pneumonia and is being treated with multiple approaches, it seems likely this is a familial thing. It's definitely worth a look, and even if your pediatrician feels this is unlikely I personally would request referral to a genetic counselor just to be certain this is not a heritable trait, as it could then turn up in subsequent generations and knowing if it's present is always useful information. If it's just a bizarre coincidence all the better, but this should be ascertained before writing this off to just bad luck. It seems a little too close for that.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you and please follow up with us here as needed.

|