News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Asthma

Question: Why would a doctor prescribe vitamins to an asthma patient?

pavi1986 - Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:51 am

I am 23 years old and I have been suffering from asthma from my childhood.I followed an inhalation course and my asthma was controlled.For two years i didn't experience any asthmatic attack.but recently my wheezing reappeared mildly and i consulted a doctor.He prescribed me "FORCEVAL,LORAHIST(loratadine tablets 10mg)and SERIMET PLUS-500.I am not suffering from any malnutrition.so I cant figure out why i have been given forceval. could somebody please tell me why a doctor would give an asthmatic patient forceval capsules?I also want to know whether it is safe to takeloratadine tablets 10mg when one has asthma.Thank you.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed May 06, 2009 8:52 pm

User avatar Hello --

Forceval is a run-of-the-mill multivitamin/mineral supplement which doesn't contain enough of any single component to make too much of a difference, and certainly not in asthma. Your doctor may have felt this would just help improve your overall health, and it certainly shouldn't do any harm, but is an odd thing to prescribe. I have no idea what the point of doing that was, unless it will cost you less via insurance than it would over the counter.

Loratadine (Claritin) makes sense because it is a mild, non-drowsy antihistimine, and asthma is often managed in part with an antihisitmine. The problem with this, if there is one, is that it can sometimes thicken the secretions associated with asthma. On the other hand, it often helps disarm the allergens responsible for the asthma. It's not dangerous, but it sometimes can make the secretions more difficult to cough up. There is a better choice, Singulair, which seems to work better with asthma, but is prescription only, so may be more expense than you're willing to take on. If you choose to go with loratadine (which can help as well as aggravate the problem), probably you should add Mucinex (plain) or a generic gauifenesin to help keep the secretions free while the loratadine does its primary job, which is to prevent the problem up front. This would seem to be an ideal approach, especially if you can find the generic for Mucinex. Again, I don't know what the Forceval is for except perhaps to just give your overall health a little boost. No harm, at least, but could have been suggested instead of prescribed.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck to you and please follow up with us as needed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here