Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: Missing Pectorial Muscles

Tasha2 - Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:11 pm

Is there any type of surgery to repair pectorial musles so that my breast implants can look normal? Let me give you the following background:

I have undergone 3 breast implant surgeries. The first was done in the early 80's. The implants were placed over the muscles, they were silicone implants. In 2001 I had the implants replaced with gel type because of concerns over silicone and also they appeared to have lost volume. At this time the surgeon told my husband (I never was able to speak with the surgeon) that the implants had leaked "all over" he told my husband that it was "one for the text books", whatever that meant. He placed the gel implants under the musucle to help prevent hardening. There were photos included in my file showing leakage. In 2007 I had a third surgery because the gel implants had hardened. These implants were to be silicone, and placed under the muscle. This surgery lasted twice as long as normal due to the fact that the surgeon had multiple problems, the main problem was that I only had a small amount of pectorial muscle on one side, none on the other. There was no or very little breast tissue and very thin skin. The surgeon was at a lost to explain what had happened to the muscle. There are photos showing the lack of muscle. He stated that had I not been in such good health, he would have just closed the incisions and just left me without implants because of the amount of time I was "under".

I am very self concious of my body and would do anything to make myself feel more normal. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu May 14, 2009 9:26 pm

User avatar Hi there--

I'm so sorry to hear of your problems with the implants, but this does happen, and sometimes some strange, localized autoimmune effects such as loss of muscle mass are known to have taken place in certain patients. I've seen a little of this in passing (not having had any direct experience in plastics other than to assist with trauma repairs) and while it has to be terribly distressing I would think a good plastic surgeon should be able to do some sort of reconstructive work in the pectoral area that would roughly duplicate the form, if not the function, of the pectorals, which would help make everything look more right. Evidently your current doctor isn't up to speed on some of the more advanced reconstructive work. You would probably do well to find a surgeon at a major center and have a consult regarding just what can be done to even this out. It's important and while this does occasionally happen, avoiding silicone can largely avoid the really bad results such as you've experienced. Saline for the actual breast augmentation and some of the newer full-thickness muscle augmentation materials (I can't recall the names of them now, again because this is not something I've worked with, only had some conversations with plastic surgeons over a trauma repair) to help bring the chest wall flush seems a fairly reasonable expectation. I certainly hope you're able to find someone with the degree of interest that would be able to bring this about. Good luck to you, keep your spirits up, and please follow up here with us as needed.

|