News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Pneumonia

Question: pneumonia duration

bassfisherman1981 - Fri May 01, 2009 9:06 pm

Hello,

In late March I developed the worst case of influenza I have ever had -- aches, high temperature, chills, etc. The flu ended up turning into pneumonia. On April 5th, being extremely sick, and extremely week (difficulty walking), I gave in and saw a doctor. He put me on Levaquin (750 mg per day), on a five day treatment plan. The Leviquin had some not so nice side effects, but I stayed with it the entire course. Now, three weeks after being on this medication, I am feeling much better, but not quite one hundred percent yet. The dark yellow mucus has now turned thin and clear. I no longer have any signs of a fever. I have been able to start working out again, etc.

However, there are a few lingering signs of the illness I had. Particularly, an occasional wheeze (maybe a few times a day). I have asthma, but it is so under control, until pneumonia, I rarely wheezed. Another issue, the cough is 99 percent gone, but I can occasionaly feel stuff inside my lungs. When that happens, I purposely cough to get it up -- it's now always clear. Finally, perhaps once every few days or so, Ill notice trace amounts of blood when I spit out some of the clear mucus -- it's very minimal, but I'm still slightly concerned.

Like I said, I'm feeling almost back to normal, but is it normal for the symptoms of pneumonia to linger? One final thing, Monday I had a follow up chest x ray, and was told everything looks normal.

Thanks

bassfisherman1981
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed May 13, 2009 11:23 pm

User avatar Hi there --

You are having a classic slow recovery from a severe pneumonia. The aftereffects can linger for weeks or longer, so you're about where I'd expect after such a severe bout. Pneumonia will often aggravate latent or remiss asthma, so treat that as you normally would, and with time, as the lingering irritation (mainly from coughing) resolves the asthma should stabilize again. There may be extended fatigue, but it also will resolve eventually, especially with adequate rest and good nutrition. The blood flecking is fairly normal too, because there has been significant irritation and inflamation down in there, so some tiny capilaries will occasionally break, but this, too, should get better with time.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck to you, and please follow up with us as needed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here