Question: Weird stuff I have been coughing up

Mrs.Haggie - Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:43 am

To start from the beginning, I got sick about a year and a half or two years ago and I had a really bad sore throat that only kept getting worse for about 2 weeks and then it finally went away, after that I had phlegm in my throat and nose for about 1 year, but when I mentioned on a doctor visit I was told it was allergies, I have never had allergies, and allergy medication does not make it go away, it has just recently stopped, but now I occasionally cough up a very small piece of something, it looks like my lungs, or brain, only it is really small, it is whitish gray in color and usually about the size of the tip of a straw, actually just a little smaller. Anyways I was just wondering if you might be able to tell me what I am coughing up, and if I need to go to the doctor, because I have no insurance so I do not want to go for no reason. P.S. I smoke very occassionally. Thank you for all your help and I hope to hear from you soon!! Kelley
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:31 am

User avatar Hi Mrs.Haggie,
People can develop allergies to substances over time even without a previous history. It sounds as though you are coughing up phlegm (mucous from the respiratory passages) The possible causes may range anywhere from infections, allergies, smoking etc. It's your bodies response and attempts to expel unwanted "invaders" from the respiratory tract.

|