News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Weird stuff I have been coughing up

Mrs.Haggie - Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:43 am

To start from the beginning, I got sick about a year and a half or two years ago and I had a really bad sore throat that only kept getting worse for about 2 weeks and then it finally went away, after that I had phlegm in my throat and nose for about 1 year, but when I mentioned on a doctor visit I was told it was allergies, I have never had allergies, and allergy medication does not make it go away, it has just recently stopped, but now I occasionally cough up a very small piece of something, it looks like my lungs, or brain, only it is really small, it is whitish gray in color and usually about the size of the tip of a straw, actually just a little smaller. Anyways I was just wondering if you might be able to tell me what I am coughing up, and if I need to go to the doctor, because I have no insurance so I do not want to go for no reason. P.S. I smoke very occassionally. Thank you for all your help and I hope to hear from you soon!! Kelley
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:31 am

User avatar Hi Mrs.Haggie,
People can develop allergies to substances over time even without a previous history. It sounds as though you are coughing up phlegm (mucous from the respiratory passages) The possible causes may range anywhere from infections, allergies, smoking etc. It's your bodies response and attempts to expel unwanted "invaders" from the respiratory tract.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here