Question: Feeling of air & pressure in upper chest

robin - Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:30 pm

I am desperately searching for a reason of having this strange feeling in my upper chest.. I had a terrible stomach virus in mid December. I had extreme vomiting and diarrehea. In the weeks following, after it had seemed to go away, I started regurgitating in the middle of the night and inhaling some of the liquid which woke me up gasping as if I swallowed wrong. The liquid was very acidic and burning. I do take nexium for gerd. I went to see my doctor about this because I was getting terrible pains in my sternum. he did double the nexium for a 30 day period, he said until things settled. He checked my heart and gave me an EKG that was fine. He also checked my lungs that he said sounded very clear. I then started having a heavieness also in muy upper chest. I saw a cardiologist and had a stress test with the IV. He said everything was perfect. I was on the treadmill for much longer than normal. My heart rhythm was perfect and I had no blockages. I still have the extreme heavy feeling in my chest and it feels as if there is a ball of air and I need to belch. However, belching does not take away the feeling. I have gained 10 pounds in this time also and I am very uncomfortable even though that is not a tremendous amount of excess weight. What is the problem here? Nobody can find one yet I have this disgusting feeling in my chest and sometimes a fluttering feeling also. Do you have any suggestions?
 Kathy C, RN - Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:30 pm

Hi Robin, I am sorry you are feeling this way. Has anyone suggested that you sleep on an incline?

Try elevating the head of your bed. If you suffer at nighttime from heartburn due to acid reflux disease, elevating the head of your bed at least six inches with blocks or placing a foam wedge under your torso will keep you in an upright position as you sleep, and this may help to keep stomach juices from rising up into your esophagus.
Try not to eat dinner or snack within 3 hours of bedtime.

I hope this helps I know that it has worked for many people.

|