Forum Name: Asthma

Question: Taking ADVAIR with no asthma??

missy1220 - Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:12 am

ok so I have had a cough for several months, followed by newer symptoms of shortness of breath, frequent urination, cant sleep laying flat or i cough, my heart races at times etc. I was dignosed several yrs ago with seasonal asthma, so I started using an extra preventil inhaler that my son had for the last 2 weeks since i figured it had come back and that was the inhaler i udes to use (i hadnt had any symtoms the last few yrs). Ok so my family dr sends me to another dr for some tests, i had a ct of the chest and throat (thinks my thyrois might be enlarged too) a PFT , and an echocardiograph. Well the PFT was normal , the dr was surprised as I have been smoking for 22 yrs (tryign to quit now) but said my breathing and lungs are great given the smoking issue...however he suggested I take advair since he feels that my brochi may be sensitive and i just need some extra hekp from the steroid to open my lungs so i don't constantly cough and have shortness of breath....is this a good thing??? can i take this medication if i don't really have asthma? one more thing lastnight i ended up in the ER due to some abdominal pain...turns out after doing a ct of the pelvic and abdominal area that i have kidney stones..now they said the pain i was having was NOT from the stones as there is no evidence i was passing one...just wanted to note that though.

Basically my question is if my breathing test was normal....but i do have cough and shortness of breath frequently, is advair ok to keep taking under his direction?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:09 pm

User avatar Dear missy1220,

You mentioned that you have been diagnosed years ago with seasonal asthma. Have you been exposed in the last period to any irritant or chest infection? Asthma in sensitive people, is usually initiated or aggravated by exposure to certain allergens such as, as moist cold air r, dust mites, pollens and molds. It is also exacerbated by chest infections. Wheezing which is the commonest complaint in patients with asthma, usually resolves either spontaneously, or by the use of antibiotics to treat bronchitis s and any other type of chest infection.
Asthma patients can present with only cough with or without sputum (phlegm) and shortness of breath. People with mild asthma (infrequent attacks) may use relief medication as needed. Those with persistent asthma should take control medications on a regular basis to prevent symptoms from occurring. you have mentioned that your symptoms are persistent for few month which means that you need to receive treatment as your physician advised. However, Before using the drug Advair which is composed of (fluticasone and salmeterol), inform your doctor if you have any type of infection as you may not be allowed to start treatment, since the drug can decrease your immune defense.
all of the following conditions also should be checked before starting this drug,
Cardiac disorders and hypertension
Allergy to certain foods
Diabetes
Thyroid and liver disease and any other medical problem which might prevent you from taking the medicine.

|