News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Breathing Problems with PE

ghosty - Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:47 pm

I'm 21 years with Pectus Excavatum

My PE is mild-moderate or moderate I think .. I observed it when I became 11-12 was not born with it

No one here in my country performs the Nuss Procedure but I think I'm gonna try the vacuum bell

a couple of weeks ago I got some breathing problems I feel like my breath is short.. through the day I had to consciously take a deep breathe every couple of minutes .. I went to a professor and he told me that PE is normal and the breathing problems is just a psychological issue because I'm worried about it. when I told him about the Nuss he didn't know about it or about the VB! (I did expect that)

anyway, that breathing problem was gone but it returned a couple of days ago. I don't really know if it's psychological but I know I can run and swim normally.

maybe it's psychological, maybe it's Mitral valve prolapse I don't really know

I would like to know what think and recommend .. I'm not going for Nuss at least for now.. :)

Thank you
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:07 pm

User avatar Hello -- Since you've had PE for quite a while now, and since the breathing problem arose fairly recently, it would seem likely the problem is due to one of three likely causes, two of which you've already mentioned, anxiety and MVP (the latter usually being a secondary anxiety problem as well). The third possibility is mild astham, which could be due to airborne allergies or gastroesophageal reflux (GERD). The latter is a very common cause of more chronic asthmas which are not always obvious because they don't occur in typical "attacks." All three (or two) should be considered and ruled out if the problem continues, as each is medically manageable and while you seem to be doing well right now, this problem may well be more pronounced in someone with PE.

I hope this is helpful to you. Good luck, and please follow up with us here as needed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here