Question: Breathing Problems with PE

ghosty - Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:47 pm

I'm 21 years with Pectus Excavatum

My PE is mild-moderate or moderate I think .. I observed it when I became 11-12 was not born with it

No one here in my country performs the Nuss Procedure but I think I'm gonna try the vacuum bell

a couple of weeks ago I got some breathing problems I feel like my breath is short.. through the day I had to consciously take a deep breathe every couple of minutes .. I went to a professor and he told me that PE is normal and the breathing problems is just a psychological issue because I'm worried about it. when I told him about the Nuss he didn't know about it or about the VB! (I did expect that)

anyway, that breathing problem was gone but it returned a couple of days ago. I don't really know if it's psychological but I know I can run and swim normally.

maybe it's psychological, maybe it's Mitral valve prolapse I don't really know

I would like to know what think and recommend .. I'm not going for Nuss at least for now.. :)

Thank you
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:07 pm

User avatar Hello -- Since you've had PE for quite a while now, and since the breathing problem arose fairly recently, it would seem likely the problem is due to one of three likely causes, two of which you've already mentioned, anxiety and MVP (the latter usually being a secondary anxiety problem as well). The third possibility is mild astham, which could be due to airborne allergies or gastroesophageal reflux (GERD). The latter is a very common cause of more chronic asthmas which are not always obvious because they don't occur in typical "attacks." All three (or two) should be considered and ruled out if the problem continues, as each is medically manageable and while you seem to be doing well right now, this problem may well be more pronounced in someone with PE.

I hope this is helpful to you. Good luck, and please follow up with us here as needed.

|